The Mobile Medical Units (MMUs) are an initiative by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) in collaboration with the Anonymous Society of Health Units (AEMY), in the context of the implementation of the National Program of Primary Health Care in which the implementing body is the Urban Non-Profit Organization Regeneration and Progress under the scientific supervision of the 1st Orthopaedic Surgery Clinic of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.
The planning of the program began in 2012 at the Olympic Village Polyclinic, headquarters of Health Units SA and is one of the largest donations of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation in the field of Health. There are now 3 missions per month to remote islands as well as to remote areas of mountainous Greece.
The goal of the Mobile Medical Units (MMUs) is equal access of residents to high-level Primary Health Care services, which are provided free of charge, as well as the prevention of diseases, the reduction of medical emergencies and the upgrading of people’s quality of life.
The composition of the team of each mission includes approximately 25 to 30 people of different specialties, as well as students of Medicine, Nursing, Physiotherapy and Psychology.
The following specializations are indicated as examples:
Orthopaedic Surgeon, ENT, Ophthalmologist, Gynecologist, Cardiologist, Dentist, Surgeon, Paediatrician, Dietician, Neurologist, General Practitioner, Psychologist – Child Psychologist-Speech Therapist, Pulmonologist, Urologist, Radiologist.
In the context of the implementation of education and health promotion actions, informative lectures are held for the school and general population by a Dietician, Health Visitor, Psychologist, on topics such as: “Healthy Diet and lifestyle”, “I decide not to smoke”, “Sexual Education”, “Vocational Guidance”, “Adolescence”, “Prevention of Mental Disorders”, “Childhood” and others, which are under the approval of the Ministry of Education. In addition ,First Aid courses are implemented. .
Electronic Medical Record Development
Since 2014, the Mobile Medical Units program maintains an Electronic Medical File, through which the medical history of each examinee and any examination findings are recorded for the purpose of monitoring and updating them.
In 2021, the electronic medical file was upgraded, with the creation of a digitally stored file that can also be accessed by the examinee himself.
Advantages of the Electronic Medical Record:
- This innovative action makes it possible to immediately send and collect all examinations in the Electronic Medical File, to which the examinee himself has access at any time.
- Immediate access to data and transfer of information between different medical specialties, even in case of emergencies, a fact of major importance in the case of remote islands.
- Easily collect and process mass information. The purpose is the easy and immediate access of the examinees to their file, through a unique code that will be given to them, not only in examination results but also in imaging examinations with the possibility of viewing them through the use of appropriate software.
Appointments are made exclusively through
- • the myKIM smartphone application which you can download from Google Play (for android) or App Store (for IOS)
- • the website https://www.mykim.gr
Medical Examinations – Results
Based on the appointment, the examinees first go to the MMUs Secretariat to complete administrative procedures and then visit the Clinics.
Some exams are completed immediately, e.g. eye examination while others require more days for the final diagnosis e.g. mammogram. The results of the examinations are registered in the electronic medical file of each examinee.
If the examinee wishes, they can have access to their Electronic Medical File, which includes all the imaging files (e.g. x-ray, mammogram) and the diagnoses of the tests he has carried out, having the possibility to download these files. All that is required is for the examinee to request a password from the Secretariat.